June 10, 2012

First week report


Hello again! Now my first week here in Ljungbyhed has come to an end. I’ve had my first class in most theoretical subjects during the week:
  • Navigation 
  • Aircraft general knowledge
  • Air law and operational procedures
  • Meteorology
  • Flight planning and performance
Navigation is mainly about reading maps in order to calculate our heading and the distance to our destination. Aircraft general knowledge is about the physical properties of the aircraft and its wings –how it flies and so on. Air law is of course about “traffic regulations” in air. Flight planning includes a lot of math calculating required fuel, how the wind affects speeds, the stall speed (when the plane stops flying because of low speed) at different weights and much more.
  
This far the theory has been really interesting and fun. While I never could concentrate the full 90 minutes of a lecture in physics I have had no problems listening during the 6 hours of class every day excluding breaks. Of course I hope it will stay that way.

On Wednesday last week it was the Swedish national day, so we were free. I just had a calm day unpacking more of my stuff in my room, washing my clothes etc. I also finished my Japanese course that was supposed to end last week, which feels relieving. However, I still have to finish my physics programme graduation thesis report…

On Friday after school I went to Malmö with my cousin Sofia to attend my second cousin Alice’s high school graduation party. There were lots of people, most of whom I didn’t know at all, but it was fun, the food was great and the place was a really nice one. We stayed the night and after having done some shopping of Japanese food ingredients in central Malmö on Saturday noon I was given a ride back to Ljungbyhed while my cousin continued to the north to her home in Jönköping.

In the afternoon I and five classmates walked a few kilometers to the local aviation club. Since the airport is fairly large the aviation club is also big and there were a few people there who gave us information about the club, their planes and so. The club has nothing to do with the school, except it uses the same runways, but probably some of us including me will become member there later in order to be able to fly privately when we have our certificates.

The airplanes owned by the school can’t be used outside school activities, but of course our certificates will make it possible for us to rent a plane at any aviation club in Sweden. Renting a four-seated aircraft in Ljungbyhed apparently costs around 1000 SEK per hour, so now you know how much money to prepare if you want to get a ride with me later on ;) . By the way, it’s completely possible to rent less than one hour and only time with the engine running counts.
 
I should work on my graduation thesis… See you soon!


Photos:
 
A Saab 91 Safir, old military training aircraft. Now used by the aviation club for advanced flying (rolls, loops etc.).


The club has a Diamond DA-40 and two Piper PA-28 that both takes 4 passengers. I will probably choose to learn flying one of those.

1 comment:

  1. Skönt att du kan släppa ett ämne. Kämpa på med fysiken bara det kommer kännas super när även det är klart och du kan koncentrera dig på dina pilotlektioner. Kram från oss alla/ mamma

    ReplyDelete